Here’s a copy of one of the most popular east coast snack that could deceive even Rosie O’Donnel, who is known for confessing her undying love for this lovely Drake’s treat on her talk show. But, no one can blame her. After all, no one can resist this delightful snack with its fluffy and smooth filling packed in between two delicious cake fingers. For this copied recipe, the cakes are made from scratch. By making the cakes from scratch, it would be a lot easier to recreate the same texture and flavor like the original version. However, don’t be surprised if the color of the cakes will be a lot lighter than the original due to the food coloring. If you don’t feel like making the cakes on your own, you may also choose to use devil’s food cake mix instead of using the cake recipe provided here. If you choose to use a cake mix instead, be sure to follow the procedure for making the fillings then stack the cakes at the same way.
Serves: 20-24 snack cakes
½ Tsp. salt
½ Tsp. baking powder
1 C. milk
2 1/3 C. all-purpose flour
1 ¼ C. granulated sugar
1 Tsp. vanilla
½ C. cocoa
½ C. shortening
1/8 Tsp. salt
2 Tsp. boiling water
1 C. shortening
2 C. marshmallow crème (7-oz jar)
½ Tsp. vanilla
½ C. powdered sugar
1. Prepare the oven by preheating it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Get a medium-sized bowl. Combine sugar, shortening and sugar using an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and milk while continuing beating the mixture.
3. Get another medium-sized bowl. Put the rest of the cake ingredients (baking powder, flour, salt and cocoa) then sift the ingredients together.
4. Mix the wet ingredients together with the dry ingredients then beat the mixture until it turns smooth.
5. Get a cookie sheet and lightly grease it. Then, spoon about one tablespoon of the mixture in strips. Each strip should be about 1 inch wide and 4 inches long. Bake the cakes until they are done. This usually takes about 5 to 6 minutes only. Once the cakes are done, let it cool.
6. Get another bowl. Mix the shortening, vanilla, marshmallow crème and powdered sugar. Get another bowl but this time, get a smaller one. Then, pour about 2 teaspoons of boiling water to the bowl then dissolve the salt (1/8 teaspoon). Mix the dissolved salt mixture together with the filling mixture than beat it using an electric mixture on high speed. Stop until the filling turns fluffy and smooth.
7. Spread the filling on the top or the face of one of the cakes once the cakes cooled down. Then, put another cake on top of the filling. Repeat the stacking process with the remaining cakes and fillings.
If you enjoyed this tasty snack from Drake’s, you should also try other yummy desserts on our website. Check out Junior’s Famous No.1 Cheesecake or The Cheesecake Factory Oreo Cheesecake. You will sure to love them, too!